Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Old Mexico - Review #1

Date of Visit: January 14, 2006

2970 W Lincoln Ave
Anaheim, CA 92801

Listing on Yahoo! Local

No known official website.

Old Mexico Exterior

My brother and I stumbled onto this place after we went to another restaurant and found out they didn't take credit cards. Well, Old Mexico takes credit cards. They even took mine. That's about the only thing up-to-date about this place. Everything else is good old-fashioned Mexican home cooking.

Old Mexico Interior
The only empty tables in the whole place

I ordered the #18 plate, Costa de Azul, which consisted of bacon-wrapped shrimp which were excellent and made great custom-made taco stuffings. This is another place that is so authentic that they get thrown off when a gringo comes in and asks for corn (not flour) tortillas. The waitress, instead of asking if I would like corn or flour tortillas, simply asked, "You want flour tortillas, right?" "No, corn would be fine." Then when she summed up the order she again asked, "Flour tortillas, right?" "Corn will be fine." "Oh, right, corn." I wasn't too surprised when the food came . . . with flour tortillas. I decided not to ask for them to be switched to corn tortillas.

Old Mexico Costa de Azul Plate

Old Mexico has a buffet which I promised the waitress I would try on my next visit and a lot of other patrons there were taking advantage of it . . . and on my third visit I'm going to try that omelette my brother ordered.

Overall, Old Mexico earns a four Speedy Gonzales rating:

Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I and a buddy ate at this buffet for lunch on Thursday January 10th 2008......this had to have been the worst presentations of mexican food in any form I've ever seen.....one of the main entree's was pasta in marinara sauce...infact the only mexican entree they offered was cheese enchiladas......made with some sort of processed cheese prodcut.......to be fair......the rice and beans were OK......probably the restaurants normal offfering there.....


Other than the food, the wait service for bringing and refilling drinks was poor....I had to walk up and ask for a refill from the lady standing behind the counter.....

I would not go back to this restaurant.


Eric from Orange

ChristianZ said...

Maybe try it non-buffet sometime. I've noticed with places that have buffets and regular food service that usually it's only the buffet aspect that customers complain about.

Unknown said...

I was invited to this place this Sunday, it was so dirty that I had to walk out! it smells horrible! the food looked old and super greasy. I will never go there again!