Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Saturday, April 07, 2007

La Rana - Review #1

Date of Visits: February 17 and March 24, 2007
La Rana Mexican Restaurant
27001 Moulton Pkwy #A
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
(949) 643-2899

Listing on Yahoo! Local

Listing on Ask.com's Citysearch

No known official website.
Yahoo! Maps
Enter starting address:
Address

City, State and/or Zip



I've often wondered when the inevitable catastrophe of losing important pictures I had taken for this blog would occur. Well, it happened now when I somehow lost a couple pictures I had taken while at La Rana Mexican Restaurant in Aliso Viejo (or Laguna Hills . . . it's right on the border . . . or is it Laguna Niguel?). The only picture I have left now is of the chilaquiles dish I had for breakfast on my second visit:

La Rana - Chilaquiles

The dish is comprised of eggs cooked the way you want them served over a pile of corn chips that are drowning in salsa verde . . . with rice and beans on the side. If you like eggs, salsa verde, and chips this is what you want for breakfast.

On my first visit there I was wearing a t-shirt from The Frog House where the word "House" was in pretty much the same color as the color of the t-shirt so you couldn't see it. This makes it look like my shirt only says, "The Frog." Now, what relevance does this have? Well, when I got to La Rana I noticed there were frog figurines and sculptures and models and drawings all over inside. It didn't take me too long to figure out that "La Rana" is Spanish for "The Frog." No, they don't frog legs on the menu (except for the legs on the cartoon frog on the front of their takeout menu) but it turned out I was serendipitously wearing the proper shirt.

On my first visit I had a milanesa torta and a taco al pastor. My photographic proof is gone but both were very good and I think it might even be my favorite place now for tacos al pastor. I'll definitely be returning to try more items, especially some of their quesadillas since they have twelve different kinds.

La Rana - Menu

La Rana earns a four Speedy Gonzales rating:

Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales Speedy Gonzales

UPDATE (December 13, 2007):

Went back earlier today for lunch and took some pictures that are roughly similar to the ones I lost:

La Rana - Exterior


La Rana - Chicken Taco


La Rana - Carnitas Torta