Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView our photos on flickr • We pay $10 per published guest review; E-mail Blogger for info.

SPECIAL TOPICS: Taco TuesdayDisneylandMenudo

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Alberto's Huntington Beach

Alberto's
Near Southeast Corner of Magnolia and Garfield
Huntington Beach, CA

Official Site
Yahoo! Maps
Enter starting address:
Address

City, State and/or Zip


DSCF6466

After driving past this place a dozen times, getting an e-mail from somebody wondering when I'm going to cover it, having some employees at my optometrist ask if I was going to cover it, seeing that people have been searching for information on it, and getting a phone call from my cousin about it, I decided to finally go to the new Alberto's in Huntington Beach.

DSCF6472

This location had been a Taco Bell since the early 1970's, possibly even earlier, up until around 2002 when it became a Subway and it just opened up a couple weeks ago as Alberto's. The building certainly makes more sense as an Alberto's than a Subway.

DSCF6468


DSCF6470

I met up with my cousin Scott for a very impromptu lunch. He got the carne asada torta:

DSCF6471

And I got the camarones empanizado, breaded fried shrimp with tartar sauce, rice and beans, and pico de gallo:

DSCF6469

For dessert they have plain, cream-filled, or strawberry-filled churros:

DSCF6473

Oh, and they are open 24 hours.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Yes... yes, I can see why you finally caved and made a visit. Hehe. Ah, Alberto's.

ChristianZ said...

You're getting good at catching these posts right away.

Melissa said...

Yeah, the other one you remarked on too - I mean, you always showed up in my reader, it was simply a matter of being caught up and not so *#&$& busy at work that I was able to read posts right away.

Diamond Dog said...

So how did the food taste?

ChristianZ said...

It tasted like regular Mexican food with nothing particularly good or bad about it. This entry was really just a glorified announcement that this Alberto's has opened. Since you ask the beans and rice were very standard, beans probably from a can. It's getting harder and harder for me to talk about food differences at a lot of these places since so many elements end up being exactly the same. The shrimp was pretty good and crisp and fresh but I wasn't expecting tartar sauce with it. I ate a couple with the tartar sauce and turned the rest into taco fillings.

Diamond Dog said...

I never understood why people rave about the Alberto's so much

ChristianZ said...

It was the first time I'd ever been. I just never had a big hankering to go and when I went I found it was average, as I suspected. I'd go again if it was convenient.

Captain said...

I could tell by looking at those beans they'd be mediocre.

I am....The Bean Man.

ChristianZ said...

Yeah, they were very average here. I just don't eat beans much anyways.

Unknown said...

their menu is very similar to Alertos (in fountain valley). Albertos food is much more greasy and not as tasty.

ChristianZ said...

Yeah, I think Alberto's and Alerto's and all the other spinoffs have pretty much the same menu.

Anonymous said...

You didn't order the right items!! I nearly always stick with the taquitos with guacamole and cheese, sometimes I'll order the carnitas sope or shredded beef taco. All are good in my opinion, with the taco lettuce crisp and cold-- nice contrast to the warm beef. Is it greasy? Yes. But I think it's some of the more authentic Mexican fast food around. Also, the California Burrito is quite good (secret item not on the menu). It's my sons' favorite item-- what's not to like about a burrito with fries inside?
DISCLAIMER:

, I frequent the Anaheim locations (Ball/St. College and Ball/Brookhurst), so these comments reflect those 2 locations.

ChristianZ said...

Thanks for your comment. I'll try some of your recommendations next time.